“Consider first our physical health. We suffer from a range of modern ills that have traditionally been very rare: obesity, cancers, accidental death and injury, deliberate death through high-tech weapons (including handguns) and warfare, global plagues like AIDS. Automobile accidents kill over 40,000 Americans every year, and about 1.3 million people globally-that’s roughly 3,300 people killed every day. Nearly 44% of the American population is medicated. A recent study suggests that 28% of all teenagers su er chronic headaches, with 40% of these occurring daily. Even the mundane daily computer use that many of us experience imposes its own risks: carpal tunnel syndrome, eyestrain, back and joint pain, headache, toxic chemicals on keyboards and monitors, and the general ill health that results from sedentary behavior.”
– Introduction: A Revolutionary for Our Times, Dr. David Skrbina
— Brought to you by —
Hans Lander, Nick Mason, Adam Smith and Hank Oslo
~~- Donations: https://hatreon.net/Nick_Mason/ -~~
— Timeline —
1942 – Theodore John Kacyznski is born in a small, Polish Catholic neighborhood.
1959 – Participates in psychological study created by Henry Murray, premaritally scarring Ted and creating a lasting impact on his psyche.
1962 – Graduates from Harvard University with a degree in Mathematics.
1969 – Leaves tenure track at Berkeley having earned his PhD in Mathematics, becomes disillusioned with the world of mathematics.
1971 – Purchases property and builds a small cabin just outside of Lincoln, Montana.
1978 – Sends his first bomb to Northwestern University.
1979 – A bomb explodes inside the cargo hold of an American Airlines 727 plane in midair, causing minor smoke inhalation.
1985 – After several bombs ranging from minor combustions to life-threatening explosions, the Unabomber finally succeeds in killing a target. Computer store owner Hugh Scrutton is killed outside of his store’s parking lot.
1987 – The Unabomber is spotted in Salt Lake City, Utah after leaving a bomb at a computer store. Goes silent, fearing detection.
1993 – The Unabomber begins his campaign once again, maiming a genetics professor. Also sends his first letter to the New York Times.
1994 – Thomas Mosser, an advertising executive, is killed by a bomb sent to his home.
1995 – Gilbert Murray, the President of the California Forestry Association, is killed by a bomb send to his home. The WaPo and NYT finally publish the 35,000-word essay “Industrial Society and its Future”.
1996 – Ted Kaczynski is taken into federal custody by the FBI after linguistic analysis grants a warrant for his arrest.
1998 – Ted Kaczynski is sentenced to life in prison without parole.
— References —
– Man and Technics, Spengler (1930)
– The Question Concerning Technology, Heidegger (1977)
– The Search for the “Manchurian Candidate”: The CIA and Mind Control, Marks (1991)
– Unabomber’s Elusive Trial, Barbara Vobejda; Lorraine Adams (1996) – https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1996/04/23/unabombers-elusive-trail/9b2cc89d-6618-499a-a034-cf64f23d77de/
– The Unabomber’s Targets: An Interactive Map, CNN (1997) – https://web.archive.org/web/20080613131220/http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1997/unabomb/victims/
– Kaczynski pleads guilty, avoids death sentence, CNN (1998) – http://www.cnn.com/US/9801/22/unabomb.wrap/
– Harvard and the Making of the Unabomber, Chase (2000) – https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2000/06/harvard-and-the-making-of-the-unabomber/378239/
– Unabomber Evidence Reveals New Insights, Alfano, (2006) – https://www.cbsnews.com/news/unabomber-evidence-reveals-new-insights/
– My Brother, the Unabomber, The Guardian (2009) – https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/sep/15/my-brother-the-unabomber
– Matching Wits with the Unabomber, Vizard (2013) – https://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-04/matching-wits-unabomber
– How publishing a 35,000-word manifesto led to the Unabomber, Washington Post (2015) – https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/how-publishing-a-35000-word-manifesto-led-to-the-unabomber/2015/09/18/e55229e0-5cac-11e5-9757-e49273f05f65_story.html
– Every Last Tie: The Story of the Unabomber and His Family, David Kaczynski (2016)
– ‘Manhunt: Unabomber:’ FBI Profiler on Catching Ted Kaczynski, True Crime Stories and Meeting Donald Trump, Newsweek (2017) – http://www.newsweek.com/manhunt-unabomber-fbi-ted-kaczynski-james-fitzgerald-643594
– The iPhone X proves the Unabomber was right (2107) – http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chapman/ct-perspec-iphone-x-unabomber-technology-20170913-story.html
– Myth Of The 20th Century – Episode 28: Nice Try, FBI – Hoover’s Legacy And The War On Crime (2017) – http://www.socialmatter.net/2017/07/28/myth-20th-century-episode-28-nice-try-fbi-hoovers-legacy-war-crime/
– FBI Profiler Says Linguistic Work Was Pivotal In Capture Of Unabomber, Davies (2017) – http://www.npr.org/2017/08/22/545122205/fbi-profiler-says-linguistic-work-was-pivotal-in-capture-of-unabomber
– Published Works of Ted Kaczynski – http://homepages.rpi.edu/~bulloj/tjk/tjk.html
– Timeline of the Unabomber Case, https://www.t-h-e-n-e-t.com/html/_mani/_una.htm
– Kenneth Michael Trentadue – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Michael_Trentadue
– MKUltra Documents as released by the CIA – https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/search/site/mk%20ultra
– The Unabomber Letters – https://www.yahoo.com/news/the-unabomber-letters—a-yahoo-news-special-report-170846210.html
– Chronology of the UNABOM investigation, Cornell University – https://www.law.cornell.edu/background/insane/history.html
– Technological Slavery: The Collected Writings of Theodore J. Kaczynski, A.k.a “The Unabomber”, Theodore John Kaczynski